Sustainable Behavioural and cultural Change at scale
There is no change unless there is behavioural change. Large scale behavioural change is Viral Change™. This is the new generation of change management in organizations and society.
From supporting your business as you adjust to the ‘new normal’ to driving large scale cultural and behavioural change that is sustainable for the long term – we are your organization architects.
90 day programme
Machines work on feed back, minds work on feed forward. Post Covid-19 we won’t need a thermostat. We need a compass. Move North, East, West or South, but never back to normal. Because normal is not waiting for us. To combat the organizational impact of the pandemic, we need a behavioural counter-epidemic inside the company. This can be done but requires minds and hearts to get together in a real social movement, not the traditional ‘change programme’.
We have been orchestrating internal social movement in organizations for many years and we are ready to help you now, using the Five Disciplines of Viral Change™:
1. Behaviours (what are your key behaviours?)
2. Peer to peer networks (the greatest force in any organization)
3. Influence (identify your key influencers)
4. Storytelling (stories are more powerful than facts)
5. Leadership (which needs to own the ‘new normal’).
In this 90-day programme, we will guide you through and help you create sustainable behavioural and cultural change across your organization/team/department.
Format: in-person or virtual
Timing: 90 days
Price range: POA
Contact us how to find out more information or to discuss further.
Viral Change™ in Organizations
We orchestrate large scale behavioural change that creates the right culture that aligns with your desired results.
We engage everyone in your organization and drive change from the grassroots, led by a unique style of leadership that focuses on supporting ownership and responsibility. It provides a solution for many of your organizational needs where changing behaviours and making them sustainable is key.
Lets face it – no factor in your success, that of your teams or individuals in your organization is not reliant on behaviours and, not just yours but, everyone’s.
- Imagine real peer-to-peer change with high impact
- Imagine your organization, sometime in the not too distant future, where small groups of highly connected and influential employees (not just management) are driving change by engaging their peers in conversations and actions.
- Imagine for example, as a result of behavioural change, you are all closer to the customer, decisions are quicker, engagement is higher and attrition falls, customer attrition and employee attrition. Imagine that this is not a one off phenomenon but it has become the norm. That it will happen dozens or perhaps hundred times today. Also, those conversations and interactions between those peers take place very informally, not in teams, workshops or committees.
- Imagine as well, that as a result of starting this practice now it is common and routine for most of the employees to ask “Can this be done better, faster, cheaper and more successfully” whether asking themselves or others:
- Imagine that all of this becomes normal, as normal as having a team meeting, a 1:1 or a salary. And that this is multiplied 100 times across your organization.
- Imagine other new habits, such as asking the question ‘who needs to know about this?’ and openly sharing innovation, ideas and information regardless of roles, boundaries, groups or team identities.
- Imagine all of this breaks down silo working, removes any unhealthy internal competition for resource and every one focuses on their role within the role of the entire organisation, their role as a responsible and solutions focused employee that truly means they become a colleague to all. A real advocate for the organization with every customer, on or off the clock.
- Imagine one hundred or one thousand people behaving in this way, not just today but pretty much as a norm. None of the above is achieved through endless workshops, pamphlets, office posters or top down management rhetoric.
- Leaders support grassroots
Now imagine two more things;
- that there are stories floating around the organization about small or not so small successes, as a result of these new habits, captured and shared, people share and talk about them; and
- that the hierarchy of mangers and leaders have remained largely invisible, but have been coached to support those small groups and led this socially derived change from behind, we call this Backstage Leadership and we create it with you.
We are describing change which is driven from your own grassroots and at a large scale, sustainable, with a strong focus on new behaviours and with an additional form of personal and peer leadership which is largely distributed across the organization.
We are describing Viral Change™.
We orchestrate this for your organization. This is true change, this is a well-orchestrated social movement.
Your aims, supported by Viral Change™ can be of any nature:
- to get closer to the customer,
- be more responsive,
- cross collaboration across the board,
- a rapid integration on a merger or a restructuring,
- implementation of new ways of doing things following an employee engagement initiative,
- creation of a particular culture,
- a broad transformation to be able to do more with less, faster and better,
- embed safety behaviours, not just train on safety,
- increase the use of new technologies which depend on people adopting new behaviours etc.
Viral Change™ provides solutions for any situation which depends on stabilising new behaviours or new ways of ‘doing’ and which requires the changes to be sustainable and multiplied at a rate and scale.
The formula is behaviours x peer to peer influence x informal networks, plus stories and backstage leadership = RESULT
This is a proven platform that delivers. We are the architects of this approach and its practical orchestration and implementation. We will orchestrate for you large scale behavioural change partnering with you and your team of Leaders as you lead from backstage.
Viral Change™ provides solutions to business problems
Viral Change™ provides solutions for any situation which depends on spreading and/or establishing new behaviours or new ways of doing and which requires the changes to be sustainable and at large scale.
LET’S TALK – TO FIND OUT HOW WE CAN WORK TOGETHER TO POSITIVELY IMPACT YOUR BUSINESS through a viral change™ – CONTACT US
Viral Change™ in Societal Change
LARGE SCALE BEHAVIOURAL CHANGE IS AT THE CORE OF THE SOLUTION FOR MANY SOCIETAL PROBLEMS, FROM PUBLIC HEALTH TO COMMUNITY CHALLENGES AND THE WORLD OF SUSTAINABILITY.
MICRO AND MACRO SOCIAL CHANGE FOLLOW THE SAME RULES
In the book Homo Imitans, Leandro Herrero makes a persisting point: there are no fundamental differences between the mechanism that create (or block) a grass roots driven large scale behavioural change inside the organization and those which create (or block) behavioural changes in the wider society. In both territories what has been created is a form or social movement, whether it is labelled or not in this way.
The success formula is the same: strong focus on behaviours (versus a more vague and ‘unmanageable’ ‘change of attitudes’ of ‘change of mindset’); peer to peer influence ( versus top down hierarchical dictation); informal networks of relationships and influence (versus formal team and committees structures); stories that flow around and create a new narrative of success (versus top down bombardment of information) and a particular form of leadership which may seem largely invisible (versus traditional command and control) but which is working from the background.
WHEN THE FOCUS IS LARGE SCALE CHANGE IN SOCIETAL TERMS.
Health awareness programmes, health-related behavioural change, tackling street violence, community cohesion projects, social interventions on dysfunctional groups such as families, interventions to holt spread of antisocial behaviour, large scale behavioural change needed in sustainable and green goals, these are all examples where we need to move from top-down indoctrination and hierarchical cascade down of information to a grass-roots, peer to peer driven social copying and imitation. As Leandro Herrero says in Homo Imitans, ‘the best way to tackle a behavioural epidemic is not to fight it but to orchestrate a counter-epidemic’.
The Five Disciplines of Change
THERE IS NO CHANGE UNLESS THERE IS BEHAVIOURAL CHANGE. THE LAWS GOVERNING BEHAVIOURAL CHANGE ARE VERY SPECIFIC. HERE IS SOME SKILL BUILDING POSSIBILITIES
The Five Disciplines behind Viral Change™ are the competences of the modern organization. They provide a way to understand the dynamics of the firm today where agility, true employee engagement and bottom-up leadership shape everyday life. These are offered in a traditional training programme which can be delivered as a overall package or individually. These Five Disciplines are introduced in the book Homo Imitans (Leandro Herrero, Meetingminds, 2011) and are as follows :
- Behavioural-based management: The new organizational focus is behaviours, not simply process and systems; these are the baseline, a given. How to learn the essentials of behavioural change as applied to your organization.
- Mobilizing scalable influence: How to maximize influence and trust within the firm; hierarchical influence is a given. However, peer-to-peer influence is the true engine. How to learn to map influence and make use of it in your organization
- Nurturing informal social networks: Formal structures are a given, the default. However, most of the neat stuff happens in informal social networks, ignore them at your peril. How to understand internal social networks and to use them in your organization.
- Accelerating a new narrative (stories): Storytelling is not new, although still largely ignored by many business organizations; mastering the art of using the right stories to accelerate a new corporate narrative. How to learn the essentials of storytelling and promote their value within your organization
- Fostering distributed leadership: Top-down leadership is a given; the real engine of leadership is distributed around the organization in the form of highly influent people, whose influence does not depend on the job description or title. How to enhance, uncover and master distributed leadership in your organization.
The Five Disciplines are connected but each of them deserves focus (understanding, training, enabling, becoming excellent at…) in their own right.